Meet the team behind “The Secret Loves of Geek Girls” – NYCC 2016
During NYCC 2016, we interviewed a lot of people at the Dark Horse Comics booth. However, we did not expect to interview a lot of people all at the same time!
On Thursday, we met with a bunch of the ladies from “The Secret Loves of Geek Girls,” an anthology of prose, comics, and illustrated stories about love, dating, and sex featuring more than fifty creators. Edited by Hope Nicholson, we spoke with her and a bunch of the creators in a panel-style interview about their contributions, the importance of this type of book, and female representation in the comic industry.
The Secret Loves of Geek Girls includes:
• Cartoons by award-winning novelist Margaret Atwood that detail her personal experiences as a young woman
• A comic by Fionna Adams and Jen Vaughn about what it’s like being a trans woman trying to figure out romantic and sexual inclinations while entrenched in comics
• A story by Mariko Tamaki and Fiona Smyth in which a seventeen-year-old Tamaki dreams of being Montreal’s first chubby Asian Frank N. Furter
• A story by Marguerite Bennett about fandom and how it allows us to say what we feel to our loved ones
• New comics by Meaghan Carter, Megan Kearney, ALB, Meags Fitzgerald, Gillian G., Diana Nock, Roberta Gregory, Laura Neubert, Sarah Winifred Searle, Natalie Smith, Jenn Woodall, and Irene Koh
• Illustrated stories by Janet Hetherington, Sam Maggs and Selena Goulding, Megan Lavey-Heaton and Isabelle Melançon, Cherelle Ann Sarah Higgins and Rachael Wells, Annie Mok, and Stephanie Cooke and Deena Pagliarello
• Prose stories by Brandy Dawley, Diana McCallum, Jen Aprahamian, Katie West, Adrienne Kress, Soha Kareem, Loretta Jean, J. M. Frey, Trina Robbins, Twiggy Tallant, Hope Nicholson, Crystal Skillman, Emma Woolley, Gita Jackson, Natalie Zina Walschots, Alicia Contestabile, Tini Howard, Cara Ellison, Jessica Oliver Proulx, and Erin Cossar